Rising Sun Baptist Church
Church History

Page Banner
Rev. Alexander D. Freeman

Rev. Alexander D. Freeman
Founder
Pastor (1944-1964)

The Rising Sun Baptist Church was organized with nine members, July 10, 1944 by the late Rev. Alexander D. Freeman. The church was located on Beach Street near the Freeway. The church remained in this location for four years. The membership included Rev. Freeman, his wife, Sis. Julia Freeman, their children, and a few other dedicated members. In the year of 1948, due to the expansion of the Freeway, it became necessary for the church to move from it‘s location on Beach Street. The church relocated to a small building at 1310 La Salle Street.

Rising Sun past Edifice

Building at 1310 LaSalle Street

The church had only one deacon at that time, Bro. Bendy. He became ill and inactive, so the church elected Bro. Fabious Jones who became the first chairman of the deacon board. Bro. Val Price and his family became members of the Rising Sun Baptist Church in 1948. Bro. Price became the first deacon ordained at Rising Sun. With much prayer and dedication other deacons were ordained including Bro. Victor, Bro. Clouche, Bro. Owens, Bro. Moore, Bro. Jim Jones, and Bro. Dennis Lines.

Under Rev. Freemans leadership Rev. Edward Harris was licensed and ordained to preach the gospel.

In 1961 the church was rebuilt.  Rev. Freeman remained faithful and dedicated until he was called from labor to reward on Feb. 4, 1964.

The church mourned the passing of Rev. Alexander Freeman and went into prayer for a new leader. In May of 1964, the church extended the call to Rev. Felix Haynes, Jr., to be her second pastor.  Rev. Haynes proved to have the same love and dedication as Rev. Freeman. The church continued to grow in spirit and membership.   During that time Pastor Haynes was also pastoring Pinegrove Baptist Church in Pineland, Texas and served both congregations for several years.

Rev. Felix Haynes, Jr.

Rev. Felix Haynes, Jr.
Pastor (1964-2012)

Rising Sun B.C. Edifice

Present edifice at 4255 Pine Street

In 1970 the church purchased four acres of land, bordered on the east by Pine Street, on the south by La Salle Street, and the west by Osborne Street. In 1973 a new edifice was started, and the marched into the new building in Feb. 1974.

Through Pastor Haynes´ leadership our current edifice was not only erected, but the mortgage was burned. Under Pastor Haynes leadership, Rising Sun took on the motto: "The Church Where Everybody Is Somebody", and countless souls were saved and added to the Kingdom.

Under Pastor Haynes´ leadership, Bro. Phillip Brown, Bro. Andrew Florence, Bro. Alexander Freeman, Bro. Isaiah Johnson, Bro. Rodney Haynes, Bro. Edward Coburn, Thomas Mouton, Bro. Ashton Thomas and Bro. Lawrence Joseph were ordained as Deacons.  Bro. Cloyd Hadnot, Bro. George Barbin and Bro. John Page were added to the deacon board having been ordained at other churches.  In addition Rev. Albert Haynes, Rev. Cloyd Hadnot, Rev. M Spivey, and Rev. S. Washington were licensed to preach, and Rev. Albert Haynes and Rev. Cloyd Hadnot were ordained as ministers.

Pastor Felix Haynes served the church faithfully, for forty-eight (48) years, until his death on September 30, 2012.

After Pastor Haynes death, the church was once again without a Shepherd and went into prayer and formed a pulpit search committee. On May 12, 2013, the church, ended an 8 month search for her next pastor, and called Rev. Joshua M. Daniels to serve as the third Pastor of the Rising Sun Baptist Church. Pastor Daniels was officially installed as Pastor on August 11, 2013, at the age of nineteen (19) years old, making him not only the youngest pastor to serve Rising Sun, but the youngest pastor in the state of Texas. Pastor Daniels served as pastor for 3 years till October of 2016.

On June 11, 2017, Rising Sun called Rev. James Reed, III as pastor. He preached his first sermon as pastor on July 2, 2017.